StatCounter

Monday, July 23, 2012

An Artist's Retreat

"Turbulent Connection," one of my recent paintings

 


"When walking back to my room last night, I looked to the left. The dark green of the leaves was barely visible in the growing darkness. Little lanterns seemed to blink on and off. Beautiful fireflies were flickering, helping to light my way in the gathering nightfall. This is part of the magic of Orkney Springs."

I recently returned from teaching a 10-day workshop in Orkney Springs, Virginia, where I rushed to my room to write the above sentence.  Orkney Springs is near Bryce Mountain and not too far from the West Virginia state line. I went not knowing what to expect and was pleasantly surprised in every way. This, despite record-breaking heat and no air-conditioning in the bedrooms!

I was teaching with fellow artist, Gwen Bragg, who has been teaching there for approximately thirteen years. When Gwen first asked if I would be interested in taking part in this endeavor, I was skeptical. After all, no air-conditioning in July didn't sound like a prudent choice for anyone. That said, I was swayed by Gwen's description of the place, and the ability that I would have to work and think only of art for ten days. That sounded a bit like my experience in France and I couldn't pass it up. It was just terrific to be with others who are as invested in art as I am. I completed five small paintings and started a sixth. I have included an image of one of the pieces that I painted as a demonstration for my students.

4 comments:

  1. wow...it is very nice post. . . cool painting. . thanks a lot for sharing it to me.
    vapor recovery unit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment. I appreciate your reading my post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lynn. I'm so glad you felt the Orkney Experience was worthwhile. Now you know why so many of us have been going for years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes! It was more than worthwhile! My post couldn't do it justice. Yes, I do know why so many have been going for years.

      Delete