StatCounter

Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Paint By Numbers - Love it or Hate it

Do you remember Paint-by-Numbers? Along with coloring books, this childhood activity has made a comeback.

I should have known that I would be an artist when I was growing up because I HATED Paint-by-Numbers. I didn't want someone else telling me where to put the color. I also didn't like the idea of being told what color to use in the first place. In fact, I hated someone telling me that I had to paint a boat in a particular color, or in a particular position. To tell the truth, I didn't want to paint a boat at all. How about a tree? I guess I wanted to experiment and do things differently even when I was young. Worked out okay for me.

Did you like Paint-by-Numbers, or hate it like I did? Let me know in the comments below.

If you want to paint your own thing, you may join me in classes. I will be teaching Pastel Painting at the Workhouse Arts Center in Lorton, Virginia again starting Wednesday, September 21. For more information and to register, click here: http://www.lynngoldstein.com/classes--workshops.html

"Filtered Sun," 9 x 12 inch, Pastel, © Lynn Goldstein NOT PAINT BY NUMBERS!!



7 comments:

  1. I did one paint-by-number picture, I think. At least, I -think- I might have finished it? It was pretty boring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if I did more than one either. It was a long time ago, and I didn't like it, but thought I was supposed to like it. Funny how confusing growing up can be. We are so concerned that we don't offend, we pretend to like something we don't enjoy at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hated paint by number but not for the reasons you named. I loved the idea of painting a picture and have it look beautiful, but the paint was never smooth and the brushes were cheap. The paint went on lumpy and the hair began to fall out of the brush as I painted. I couldn't stay in the lines... And by the end, I had no bristles on my brush! It was all so frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am chuckling as I read what you have written. I forgot how awful the paint and brushes were. Just so happy to be able to paint the way that I want with quality (but expensive) supplies.

      Delete
  4. I remember those kits, but don't think I ever finished one ... Aha! Now there's some insight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that funny?! You were meant to me an artist too. : )

      Delete
  5. There was a time when I used to like painting by number but with the passage of time I changed my mind and I do not like it anymore. It seems boring now.

    ReplyDelete