StatCounter

Friday, September 30, 2016

How to Block in a Pastel Painting -- Revisiting an Old Favorite

Many feel that making art of the same subject may be boring. I love revisiting old favorites. Why? Well, It's fun to see if my working style has changed, how my memories of a location may have been altered with time, and also to reactivate fond experiences and feelings from the past.

Just recently, I completed a painting inspired by a visit to a friend years ago. When I went to her home for the first time, my socks were blown off by the beauty of a vacant lot next to her house. After going on and on about the beauty, my friend exclaimed, "That! It's just a bunch of weeds!" Clearly one woman's weeds is another woman's wonder. Here is the progress of the painting, "Kelly's Surprise Revisited."

Pastels used for the painting. 

This piece was started as a demonstration for my students.
You can see the preliminary sketch next to the red value under painting
Beginning the block in of perceived color

Adding more perceived color

More color added. You will see that I have established my darkest areas and my lightest area (the sky)

A bit of detail being explored

More detail...

The finished painting. "Kellys Surprise Revisited," Pastel, 12 x 9 inches © Lynn Goldstein



2 comments:

  1. Very well presented the entire process of painting. Those old crayons and colors seems very artistic and unique. Like how each and every step is show with the help of pictures. Keep sharing more painting secrets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading my blog. I appreciate your kind words.

      Delete